Application to Boarding Schools
You can send your child to boarding school in England at any age. However, 11-13 is generally considered the most appropriate age. At that age children start becoming more independent and stop being too attached to their parents.
Additionally, during that age, children already speak their native language fluently and will not forget it afterwards under any circumstances.
In order to apply to school in the UK you will need your child’s report card and a recommendation letter from a current teacher. The child may also be required to sit an entrance exam in English and math. Some schools will require additional tests in all of the subjects that the child has chosen (3-4 subjects for A-Level). These tests can be administered by the child’s school in his or her home country (in an exam setting), by the British Council or they can be done at the school they are applying to in the UK.
Schools in the UK usually start in September, and it is always recommended to apply six months to a year prior to entry date. Some top schools have limited vacancies, thus limiting your options. Hence, if you are looking at enrolling to a highly ranked school, you may need to start two years prior, if not three, before entry date.
The fees for one year at a boarding school range from £18,000 to £35,000 depending on the school and the age of the student. This price includes tuition, accommodation, food, books, school uniform, sport and health insurance.
These rates are only an estimate and for guidance, hence the variation can depend on many factors in terms of what the school can offer and its facilities.
It maybe difficult, but not impossible if your child has above average abilities, speaks fluent English and has an excellent academic record.
There are many boarding schools within the UK that can accommodate any type of students with different academic abilities.
Children over the age of 6 can fly to England on their own, without their parents (escorted by their airline’s member of staff). This service is offered upon the purchase of an airplane ticket. At the airport, the airline staff will hand your child over to the member of English center or school or to one of their drivers, who will then take your child to the school. You can double check with your airline company what is the minimum age they are able to escort a child flying without their guardian and offered services.
If you are worried whether your child has safely arrived, contact numbers will be provided to call the concerned person at the center or school to confirm the safe arrival.
We can suggest parents considering the following criteria before they make a decision:
- Type of boarding schools:Single-sex education or co-education?
- Academic standard: Most schools publish public examination results. Parents can use ranking tables to assess a school’s academic standard. Out of more than two thousand schools in the UK, those ranked within 300 are recognized as outstanding.
- Budget: There are three terms in a year and boarding fees are paid termly. When doing their budgets, parents should be aware that there is an annual fee adjustment in most schools. Growth rate is usually 5% per year.
- Location: Students may be more accustomed to their home town climate, hence south part of United Kingdom is considered warmer than north part. Some of the parents would prefer schools which are near to their relatives. There are a variety of schools that can satisfy needs of different students.
- Subjects and extra-curricular activities: There are a wide range of subjects and extra-curricular activities in boarding schools. you can match the most suitable school with knowing your child’s interests and hobbies.
- Others: Friendliness, facilities and student demographics are all typical criteria. Additionally, some schools provide extra care for students with learning difficulty. If there’s any of such special needs, parents should bring up early in consultation.
Application for a UK University
When considering what and where to study, our team will match your academic interests, your educational goals and budget, with options within your desired requirements.
It is very important that you think about the convenience of the study location for you (big city or rural area, large campus or small campus..etc.) , the amount of time you would like to spend for study and the total cost of studying and living overseas.
The offered facilities for international students are also factors you should consider when studying away from home.
What can you do?
- Make sure to check which universities offer your desired course
- Look at the university website to get an initial feel for the differences between the universities.
- Visit Education Fairs – this will give you an opportunity to meet with the university representatives giving you more insight and provide answers to your queries that matter to you when deciding on your desired destination of study.
- Go to an Open Day – most people do not decide on a university until they have visited it. Seeing the city and university in the flesh often makes you consider factors you might not have thought about before, such as the location of your college, faculty and university facilities.
- Look at the profiles of the tutors at individual departments
Our team will be able to guide you on the courses, institutions and locations that best meet your preferences and requirements. Contact us if you require more help to discuss the matter in more detail.
Application for English Language
The following information is required at initial stage, to evaluate your case and provide the best options that are within your requirements
- Passport copy
- Duration of study – How long you want to study English course?
- When do you want to start? – English courses usually start every Monday, all year long
- What is your budget per month? – How much you are able to afford to study and live in the UK. This would help us define the most suitable centers available within your budget.
- Location preference – If you have a preferred location you are interested to go and study at.
If you do not have answers to all of these questions, our team can still help you in making a decision.
Yes, of course, most schools will accept students who don’t know any English at all. It may be best to take some language lessons at your home country first though to maximize the effects of a language course in England.
We recommend taking any pre-English test like pre-IELTS test, which is ideal way to discover your level of English before taking the actual exam.
The main types of courses on offer are:
- General English (15-20 hours per week)
- Intensive English (25-30 hours per week)
- Business English (20 hours of general English + 5-10 hours of business vocabulary)
- Exam Preparation – for exams such as IELTS, TOEFL
- Summer English – which includes activities and excursions
There are also specialized programs such as English for lawyers, finance professionals, teachers, etc. You can find out more about the courses on offered by contacting our team.
There are no age limits. Language schools and centers offer programs for various age groups. In order to find the best program for your age group, you may contact our teamand we will help you find the best fit for you.
Language schools & centers would usually provide options for students in selecting the preferred accommodation
- Host family – where you can live with a family and have your own room or shared with another student. catered for aged 14 and over.
- Residence / Student Hall – this would usually have the kitchen & living area shared.
- Boarding school accommodation – located on the school grounds, and catered for age under 17.
- Apartment with a kitchen
If you need help selecting which may be suitable to your requirements, you can contact our team for guidance and assistance.
The cost may vary from one language school to another. However, on average it may cost around £150-350 per week (20 hours per week, every day except weekends). Living costs are around £120-280 per week.
The cost varies depending on the type of accommodation – host families are typically cheaper than student residences. Therefore, the combined cost of tuition fees and living expenses will usually amount to around £300-700 per week. Another £100-200 per week should be added on for pocket money and transport costs.
The cost for children summer language programmes, can range from £700 to £1,500 per week and it can include tuition, accommodation, food, cultural activities, sports and much more.
These figures are only estimate hence some schools / centers may charge more depending on the type of course, accommodation and hours per week lessons taken…etc. If you would like to know more, you may contact our team for guidance.
We recommend no less than four to eight weeks being ideal as a start. As this would allow you to gradually adapt to the new environment, overcome the language barrier and begin speaking English. And you can extend your stay if you feel the need to do so afterwards.
The minimum duration you can take is two weeks and there is no limitation on the maximum duration, as you can take a whole year course, if you desire.
For a two to three week trip to England you will usually need the following, these are only items you can consider and students are free to bring what they see suitable:
- A big suitcase
- Track suit
- Indoor slippers
- Socks and underwear
- A hat (a cap or panama hat)
- Swimsuit/swimming trunks
- A big towel
- A set of nice clothes for the outings
- Personal hygiene items
- Any medication you require due to chronic illness
- Mobile phone
If you do sports seriously, you may bring your own sports equipment and clothes.
The school will usually provide bedding, but it is recommended you bring a big and a medium sized towel.
There will definitely be a benefit, as every day the students have 3-5 hours of English lessons followed by other activities, such as sport, trips, cultural activities, all in English. All of the classes are built around conversational English and getting the students to talk. Even in this short period you can improve your English and most importantly will not be too shy to speak English.
Didn't find the answer?
Contact us with your question